Thursday, May 16
Science vocabulary Quiz Tuesday May 7
- Cardiac muscle: striated, involuntary muscle found only in the heart.
- Cartilage: in humans, thick smooth flexible, and slippery tissue layer that cover the ends of bones, makes movement easier by reducing friction, absorbs shocks.
- Dermis: skin layer below the epidermis that contains blood vessels nerves oil and sweat glands, and other structures.
- Epidermis: outer thinnest skin layer that constantly produces new cells to replace the dead cells rubbed off its surface.
- involuntary muscle: muscle, such as heart muscle that cannot be consciously controlled.
- Joint: any place where two or more bones come together, can be movable or immovable.
- Ligament; tough band of tissue that holds bones together at joints.
- Melanin; pigment produced by the epidermis that protects skin from sum damage and gives skin and eyes their color.
- Muscle; organ that can relax, contract and provide force to move bones and body parts.
- Periosteum; tough, tight fitting membrane that covers a bone's surface and contains blood vessels that transport nutrients into the bone.
- skeletal muscle; voluntary, striated muscle that moves bones, works in pairs, and is attached to bones by tendons.
- skeletal system; all the bones in the body; forms an internal living framework that provides shape and support, protects internal organs, moves bones, forms blood cells, and stores calcium and phosphorus compounds for later use.
- smooth muscle; involuntary, non striated muscle that controls movement of internal organs.
- Tendon; thick band of tissue that attaches bones to muscles.
- voluntary muscle; muscle, such as a leg or arm muscle, that can be consciously controlled.
Social Studies: Crossword puzzle
Today in History:
May 13, 1846: President Polk convinced Congress to declare war on Mexico, in a dispute over Texas.
May 14, 1804: One year after the Louisiana Purchase doubled the size of the US, Lewis and Clark left St. Louis,Mo., to explore new territory.
May 15, 1942: A bill establishing a women's corps in the US Army became law, creating the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps.
May 16, 1965: An accidental explosion at Bien Hua Air Base killed 27 US servicemen and destroyed 40 planes.
Religion: prepare your studies for exams